The complex includes soccer and softball fields, tennis courts, a running track, and a multipurpose athletic center that features a fieldhouse for intercollegiate sports, aerobics and weight-training facility, and classroom, meeting, and office space. Besides up-to-date weightlifting and cardio equipment, the center provides weekly yoga, pilates and Reebok cycle classes.
Donated to the College by trustee George Mathews in memory of his sister, Mary Ann Mathews Pease, Class of 1944; his mother, Weeta Watts Mathews, Class of 1919; his aunt, Helen Mathews Luce, Class of 1911; and his grandmother, Annie MacDowell Mathews, Class of 1888.
With 10,000 square feet of space on two levels, wide porches and breezeways, and beautiful arched windows overlooking the lake and the Equestrian Center, the Mathews Center is a popular place for the college community and for the public, by membership.
A breezeway, with a floor of brick pavers, connects the two major wings of the building. On the east side is the equipment training room, with Cybex equipment; on the west side is the aerobics studio, with a “sprung floor” made with a cushion of rubber underneath the hardwood surface. A veranda on the back of the building connects through a courtyard to the tennis courts; upstairs houses a stationary cycle studio, classrooms, and offices.
For information about the Wesleyan swimming pool located in Porter Gym, click here.